Everyone has a spirit animal. Here are tips on how to find, connect and develop a meaningful relationship with your spirit animal. Whether it’s through day dreaming, meditation, observation in nature, there are many ways to find out what your spirit animal is. Keep in mind that you are likely to develop relationships with several spirit animals that will guide you during various phases of your life.
LET YOUR SPIRIT ANIMAL CHOOSE YOU
There are many ways to find which spirit animal is linked to you. When starting on the path of discovery, it’s important to remember that a spirit animal cannot be chosen. It "chooses" you.
In most cases, spirit animals will be most present in your journey out of your conventional state of mind, such as during meditations, day dreams, night dreams, or other altered states of consciousness.
They can also come to you in their physical form. You will notice them because of an unusual behavior or multiple encounters in a short time span.
WAYS TO LOOK FOR YOUR SPIRIT ANIMAL
Finding your spirit animal can lead you to try different approaches. Here are some of the most common ways to get started:
- Look in nature and observe around you. Pay attention to animals and their behavior.
- Be attentive when an animal appears in your life in a way that is noticeable, when it has an unusual behavior; it may be a spirit animal trying to grab your attention
- Watch for repetitive encounters with the animal either in its physical or symbolic form (as object or image)
- Read books on animals and reflect on an animal that is standing out
- Meditate either with the general intention of finding a spirit animal or on a specific animal you've found ealier
- Be attentive to dreams featuring animals
- Process of journeying (for instance visualization accompanied with sound, shamanic drumming)
HOW TO FIND YOUR SPIRIT ANIMAL THROUGH MEDITATION
Meditation provides an effective way to connecting to your spirit animal. We use the term "meditation" in a loose way in means of relaxing and using active imagination to visualize and "travel within". Set your intention for this inner journey to connect with one or several animals.
Using meditation also allows you to drop into a different state of mind or altered state where you are more receptive to the energy and intuitive wisdom of the animal spirits.
FINDING YOU SPIRIT ANIMAL IN DREAMS
Animals in dreams are common manifestations of unconscious imagery and guidance. If the animal in your dream is a spirit animal that has guided you in the past, pay particular attention to the message your dream delivers.
Animals in dreams whether they are spirit animals or not typically represent:
- feelings that have not been fully acknowledged yet by the dreamer
- aspect of the personality or feelings considered as “wild” or hard to control;
- basic instinctual drive or emotions;
- an event or person’s influence in the dreamer’s life
- intuitive guidance using the shape of an animal spirit guide
WHAT TO DO ONCE YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR SPIRIT ANIMAL
Here are a few things you can do once you think you have found your spirit animal or know what your spirit animal is.
- Learn about your spirit animal as much as you can: Observe it when you see it in physical form, learn about it in books or in other media, feel it, imagine it.
- Quickly list the qualities or attributes of the animal you feel could be your spirit animal. Don’t think about it too much, just respond to these questions as quickly as you can, then ask them again and see if you can find more associations:
- How do the animal traits relate to you?
- How does the animal and what it represents connect to experiences you have or had life?
- If your spirit animal had a voice, what would it say to you right now?